Friday, February 26, 2010

Little Japan in my kitchen

 
True to my word, I made Unagi-don for dinner last night and true to a finicky 2yo eater, he ate 1-2mouthfuls and stopped right there.   *exasperated!*
Despite my cold, lack of taste and smell, I somehow gave myself a 9 out of 10 for this dish.  It is so super easy peasy to make and I really adore grilled eels with that sweet touch of teriyaki sauce.  Every time I go to a Japanese restaurant, unagi-don or unagi-rolls are always my fave choices.  I wonder why I never made this earlier before!?
UNAGI-DON RECIPE (makes 4)
A) Sushi rice:
2cups sushi rice
2cups water
1/4 cup rice vinegar(or white wine vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar in your pantry)
2tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Cook sushi rice in rice cooker as per normal.  As rice is cooking, dissolve the sugar and salt in the rice vinegar.  Once the rice has finished cooking, pour the vinegar mixture into the rice and mix it well with a spatula.

B)  Unagi
2 packages of Unagi fillet(12oz each)

If you buy those frozen unagi already pre-cooked in Asian grocery stores, simply follow the cooking instructions and pop it into the oven.  I baked mine at 350fahrenheit for 12minutes.

C) Sauce
1/4 cup mirin
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp soya sauce

Add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer gently till it thickens.  About 10-15mins.

D) Toppings
Nori seaweed strips
Toasted sesame seeds
Spring onions

Assemble the rice in a bowl, sprinkle sesame seeds over it, top with the unagi, spring onions, nori strips and finally, drizzle the sauce over the top and you will have a yummy unagi-don right at home.
Oiishi-so!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment