Friday, February 19, 2010

Small gestures matters...

My husband has always been an amazing man, and yesterday, he proved to be worth a million stars in the nightsky with his small and thoughtful gestures.  You see, small gestures are what keeps a couple happy and the relationship going.

I experienced early labour contractions at 32weeks, no thanks to stimulation from abdominal cramps caused by stomach flu.  So of course I am suffering and thinking it was just stomach cramps due to the gastro but instincts tell me otherwise.  My santa of a doctor confirmed that, yes, I had contractions and from now onwards, bedrest is mandatory.  No household chores, no carrying of toddlers, no sex, no nipple stimulation.  Just rest. 

To some people, this sounds like heaven - to me, bedrest is torture.  Now I understand what "bedsore" means.  After lying on your sides for so many hours a day, my hips do get sore and my "heavenly bed" no longer seem heavenly to me.  It feels like the "Jade Bed" from the chinese folklores.

With 8more weeks to go, I don't see how I can do bedrest everyday, but I really don't want to up the chances of Coralie being born too premature.  Preemies often experience developmental problems later on in life, they are definitely not as smart and I want my child to be fully developed on her own in my womb before emerging into this world.  She's gotta learn to be independent at a young age.

My husband knew I was bored lying in bed the whole day and sitting on the sofa watching TV is not very comfortable for too long periods of time.  So, yesterday, he went and did a surprise shopping trip and bought me the second decoder for our cable channels, reinstalled the tv back into our room and even fixed up the dvd player.  We had resisted buying the second decoder cos it was ridiculously overpriced here in Canada($200 in CA vs $60 in the US) but he did it for bedridden me.  Merci beaucoup, mon amour. :)

So after reading this article, I knew we are on the right track.  Small gestures contribute to big love.

Have you made a nice small gesture to your loved one today?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, what a nice guy! He gets a gold star for that. Bedrest is tougher than most people think. Keep plenty of books, magazines, cards, games, knitting/needlepoint and movies around. Reorganize your address book or recipe book. Plan meals and make shopping lists for your wonderful hubby... Hang in there.
    If you want to connect with other moms on bedrest and parents of preemies, you might want to visit the March of Dimes community called Share Your Story: http://www.shareyourstory.org/. It's very supportive.

    ReplyDelete