Monday, February 22, 2010

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

Who can resist an old-fashioned apple pie whenever you see it on the dessert menu?  I know I can't, especially when it comes with a double scoop of good old vanilla ice-cream.  Mmm-mmm....
Inspired by my all-time fave chef on food network, Canadian Michael Smith, I had to wait a few days to get well before I could make this scrumpilicious-looking pie.  Actually, what drew me to this recipe was the baker's trick he revealed on the show - which was to use frozen butter and grate it into the flour mixture before mixing it into dough.  Never seen that one before.

Intrigue, i had to try it to see if it really makes a good pastry become patisserie-worthy.   
So this pie came out looking old-fashioned alrite, but what brought us back in time was the taste.  Nothing like a warm home-baked apple pie.  And the pastry?  Awesome!

Seems like this is an autumn keeper recipe for when we go apple-picking next time!  ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment